Lasers & Energy
Laser Hair Reduction
Using the most advanced laser technology, this treatment is targeted at reducing unwanted hair growth in most skin types. Here at Ruff Plastic Surgery we use 2 different types of lasers, the Cutera Cool Glide and the Lumines LightSheer Duet.
The Cutera CoolGlide is an Nd:YAG laser hair reduction system all skin types and tones, from light to dark. Its unique design, longer wavelength, and innovative cooling design, allow extremely effective, safe and permanent results.
LightSheer Diode Laser Systems are clinically proven and highly regarded for providing safety, superior results and patient satisfaction.With 2 different leaser heads, we are able to attack those stubborn unwanted hairs with speed and comfort.
Pre and Post Treatment Instructions
Before your Laser Hair Reduction treatment, please be sure to follow these steps:
- For at least 3 weeks immediately prior to your first treatment, and during the remainder of your treatment package, please do not wax, tweeze, use depilatories, undergo electrolysis, or bleach the hair you are seeking to remove.
- Please shave the morning of or the night before your appointment. Men should come to appointment with the closest possible shave.
- Please inform use as soon as possible in advance of your treatment if you are taking any antibiotics.
- Please do not use any products containing Alpha or Beta Hydroxyl acids, Retinol or Retin A for at least 3-5 days prior to your treatments.
- It is recommended that patients have NO sun exposure (including tanning beds and sunless tanners) for 4-6 weeks prior to treatment. When out in the sun please wear sun screen that protects against both UVA and UVB rays. If you are unsure please feel free to ask a team member.
- If you have had sun exposure or have been tanning within the last 2 weeks, please call the office at (202) 785-4187 24 hours prior to treatment to avoid a cancellation fee.
- If you have a history of herpes in the area to be treated, we strongly recommend you take a prescribed anti-viral medication to decrease the risk of an outbreak after the treatment. We would be happy to provide you with a prescription, just ask one of our team members.
- In the days leading up to your treatment please try to keep well hydrated as hydrated skin is able to tolerate more light energy, making your treatments safer, but also more effective.
After your laser hair reduction treatment:
- Your skin may look completely normal, but some individuals it may look red and feel warm. This is normal and will subside of the next few hours.
- You should not feel any significant discomfort, heat, or pain. If you do, place a cool cloth or gel ice pack on the area, and continue to cool until the heat sensation subsides. Please call us if heat is significant or unrelenting.
- You may use an antihistamine cream (i.e. hydrocortisone 1%) should any itching occur. This may be immediate and could last up to 7 days.
- Please avoid excessive sun exposure for 2 weeks after treatment. Please use a broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher during the entire course of your treatment.
- Avoid hot water for 24 hours after treatment.
- Avoid all astringents and irritants (toners, glycolic, retinols, etc.) for the remainder of the day.
Intense Pulse Light
What is it?
Commonly called IPL or photo facial is used to address many skin concerns such as redness and hyperpigmentation with virtually no downtime. IPL uses light energy to reverse the visible signs of aging from general environmental wear and tear. It can also help stimulate collagen production reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Post Treatment Instructions
- Your skin may be irritated or red and feel as though you have mild sunburn. This is a normal occurrence and you may apply cool, not cold compresses to the treatment site. Do not apply ice or anything frozen directly to the skin. Apply cool compresses for no longer than 20-minute intervals.
- Avoid the use of alpha or beta hydroxyl products, retinols, or Retin A products for 24 hrs after your treatment as they could create additional irritation. After 24 hrs you may resume your prescribed skin care regimen.
- Flaking and crusting may occur. Do not attempt to exfoliate or remove any crusting. Areas with heavy sun damage and brown spots will darken over the first 24 hrs after treatment. Some of the red areas may intensify as well. Do not pick or abrade the area. This is part of the normal response to treatment and will clear on its own in 3-7 days. If you experience any open wounds contact our office immediately.
- Maintain hydration. Drink plenty of non-alcoholic, caffeine-free and sodium-free beverages and keep skin well hydrated as directed.
- Cleanse and treat your skin as prescribed. Follow the directions you are given for your skin condition and goals. Proper skin care is essential to support the effects of your IPL treatment.
- Do not expose your skin to direct sunlight for a minimum of 3 days. Good sun protection is essential following treatment. If you are outdoors apply a minimum SPF 30 and wear sun protective clothing and headwear. Following IPL therapy your skin is highly susceptible to sunburn or the formation of irregular, darkened pigmentation. Therefore, Sun protection is required for life to maintain the results you have achieved.
- Follow-up as directed. Your treatment may require several treatments of many weeks to achieve optimal results. Results may not be visible after each treatment but may develop gradually in the weeks that follow. It is essential that your progress is monitored throughout your treatment cycle. Keep your appointments as directed.
Clear & Brilliant
A Powerful, Yet Gentle, Laser Skincare Treatment
Offered exclusively through licensed skincare professionals, Clear + Brilliant is proven to help improve tone, texture and pore size appearance. You’ll see and feel the difference; smoother skin that will make you look and feel great. Keep your skin looking its youthful best with simple and easy Clear + Brilliant treatments.
What Can Clear + Brilliant Do for You?
If you’re battling the effects aging can have on your skin, or trying to address it before the battle even starts, Clear + Brilliant can help. With simple, gentle laser treatments provided by your licensed skincare professional, you can help prevent the visible signs of aging and the overall dulling effects time and the environment can have on your skin.
One 10 to 20-minute Clear + Brilliant session* can leave your skin feeling smoother, younger and give you that “radiant glow” that comes from healthy, youthful skin. Routine treatments deliver lasting results that can keep you looking younger for years to come.
Clear + Brilliant is simple yet effective. An easy treatment to add to your routine, much like the way you plan for a facial or trip to the hair salon.
Clear + Brilliant Perméa Goes The Extra Step.
With Clear + Brilliant Perméa, topical skin care products work harder for you. The Perméa treatment enhances skin permeability, increasing the benefits of topical skin care products immediately after treatment, and giving you results you’ll love. In clinical studies, those treated with Clear + Brilliant Perméa followed by a topical antioxidant serum noted greater uniform tone, boosted radiance and enhanced overall appearance.
Ultra Pulse – CO2
Active FX is fractional laser procedure used to treat facial lines, pigmentation, and scars with minimal downtime. The laser light interacts with the skins surface causing the upper layer to peel off and regenerate a layer of healthier skin. Active FX yields great results with just one treatment.
Deep FX is generally preformed the same time as Active FX resulting in Total FX. Deep FX is a revolutionary fractional laser used to treat aged, sun-damaged or scarred skin. This procedure has slightly more downtime but also stimulates new collagen formation giving the skin a lifting effect.
Because facial skin is so delicate, the face and neck are usually the first areas to show signs of aging such as sagging and wrinkles. At Ruff Plastic Surgery, we offer a simple, non-invasive treatment that can significantly improve those concerns. With Ultherapy skin tightening, Washington, D.C., surgeon Dr. Paul G. Ruff IV can help patients have firmer, more youthful skin — without surgery.
Men and women come from Alexandria, Arlington, Reston, and other areas around Washington, D.C., for Ultherapy skin tightening at our practice.
What Is Ultherapy?
Ultherapy uses targeted ultrasound energy to heat the deep tissues of the face and neck. Similar to the way ultrasound imaging is used for pregnant women and other medical procedures, technicians can actually see the layers of tissue they are treating. The heat energy stimulates underlying tissues to grow new stores of collagen, which keeps the skin taut and youthful-looking. As collagen grows over time, the skin becomes firmer and results improve.
Because it targets the same areas, we often use this treatment as a non-surgical facelift and neck lift alternative. Our Washington, D.C., area patients appreciate the impressive “lift” they can achieve without the downtime of surgery.
Are the Treatments Safe?
Yes. Ultherapy is the first non-invasive treatment cleared by the FDA to rejuvenate and lift the skin. Clinical trials and hundreds of thousands of treatments worldwide have proven not only its safety, but also its effectiveness.
What Areas Can I Treat?
We can treat your full face and neck with an Ultherapy session, or we can target just specific areas. Ultherapy is particularly effective at lifting and tightening sagging skin on the brow, neck, and just under the chin, eliminating concerns such as a “turkey gobbler” and “double chin.”
What Are the Treatments Like?
Depending whether you get a full face and neck treatment or just a single area, the session takes about 60 to 90 minutes. After cleansing your face and applying an ultrasound gel, Dr. Ruff or another member of our team passes a smooth handpiece over the surface of your skin that transmits the ultrasound energy. A viewing screen shows an image of the underlying tissue so we can target the precise layer that will produce the best results.
As we deliver tiny bursts of focused ultrasound energy, you may feel some minor discomfort. We may apply a topical numbing cream. The sensation you feel is the energy being absorbed by your foundational facial tissues, and it lasts only for the duration of the treatment. Patients typically leave feeling very comfortable.
When Do Results Appear, and How Long Do They Last?
You may see some initial results immediately, but most of the lifting and toning takes place over 2 to 3 months after your treatment as collagen grows. Some patients see improvement for up to 6 months, and most people require only a single session. Results tend to last about 2 years, and it’s common for patients to return for additional treatments when collagen production begins to slow.
What Should I Expect After Treatment?
Because Ultherapy is completely non-invasive, you can return to your regular activities immediately. You don’t need to follow any special instructions. Just after treatment, you may experience redness, slight swelling, or tingling, but these minor effects fade within a few hour.
Laser Genesis combines preferential heating of the microvasculature and gentle heating of the dermis to improve skin texture, shrink pore size, diffuse redness and reduce wrinkles.
Chemical Peels & Facial Treatments
VI Peel/Vitality Peel
This Next Generation peel, the Vi Peel is a painless peel requiring little or no downtime and producing immediate results. As a medical-grade peel, it is the first peel specifically designed for darker skin, African American, Asian and Latin and recommended for all skin types. The peel is effective in reducing pore size and fine lines, minimizing sun damage and age spots and reducing the appearance of freckles, hyperpigmentation and melasma. The Vi Peel was originally formulated for acne sufferers and is excellent for both adolescent and adult acne. A combination of powerful acids including salicylic acid, Retin A® and Vitamin A with other ingredients help soothe the skin while at the same time allowing for deep penetration of the peel. Results are dramatic in just seven days.
A mild TCA based peel great for acne, fine lines and mild hyperpigmentation.
Mini Melanage Peel
A non-acidic peel that is pain free, used to treat fine lines, wrinkles and brown spots.
The melanage peel is designed to improve the texture and tone of hyperpigmented skin which involves a medicated masque and an at home skin care regimen.
A treatment used to reduce redness in extremely sensitive skin.
Used to enhance the benefits of microdermabrasion (refer to Microdermabrasion).
Clear & Brilliant Microdermabrasion
This pain free treatment resurfaces and reduces the appearance of aging. It improves texture, tone, fine lines, and pigmentation by sloughing off the outer most layer of the skin. It also stimulates collagen and elastin beneath the surface of the skin, resulting in a younger healthier glow. Clear FX can be performed on any area of the body, with aluminum crystals or diamond tip.
Body Contouring Medsculpt
By combining the benefits of ultrasound energy with massage therapy, the non-invasive MedSculpt System warms the subcutaneous tissues and improves circulation ” encouraging fast recovery and smooth results. Great for post-operative procedures and healing sore muscles.